Operation Clean Sweep® (OCS) is an international programme designed to prevent the loss of plastic granules (pellets, flakes and powders) during handling by the various entities in the plastics value chain and their release into the environment.
First adopted in North America, the OCS programme is now implemented in Europe since 2015. The methodology included in this programme has already helped to implement effective corrective actions in many companies in the plastics industry worldwide.
The six commitments of OCS in Europe
By signing the European OCS pledge each pellet-handling company recognises the importance of preventing spillages into the environment and commits to the following six actions:
- Improve worksite set-up to prevent and address spills
- Create and publish internal procedures to achieve zero industrial plastic material loss
- Provide employee training and accountability for spill prevention, containment, clean-up and disposal
- Audit performance regularly
- Comply with all applicable state and local regulations governing industrial plastics containment
- Encourage partners (contractors, transporters, distributors, etc.) to pursue the same goals.
Preventing pellet loss into the environment
How Can We Help?
Each segment of the industry, including resin producers, transporters, bulk terminal operators and plastic processors, have a role to play in eliminating resin pellet loss.It’s the little things that count. A few pellets here. A handfulthere. They all add up when you consider the thousands of facilities in the plastic industry and the many times resin is handled.
Commitment by everyone in every company, from top Management to the shop floor employee is essential eliminating definitely pellet loss.Pellet containment is good for the environment. It’s good business performance. With everyones help and cooperation, we can make significant progress to help our industry protect the environment.